Privacy by design and by default is something that all developers will have learn. Here are some basic points app designers should know and take into consideration:
- Privacy isn’t scary: it’s an opportunity to earn people’s trust.
- This is about how we handle personal data.
- Some data are sensitive, and we need explicit consent before collecting them.
- System permissions for apps are not the same as explicit consent.
- Everyone is entitled to certain privacy rights: to be informed (Notice), to see the data we collect (Access), to take their data elsewhere (Portability), and to have their data corrected or deleted (Right to Be Forgotten).
- Here are some design patterns we can use to respect people’s privacy in our mobile apps.