UK’s data protection authority – Information Commissioner’s Office – has released its annual report.
Highlights from 12 months to 31 March 2019 include:
- Data protection complaints received by the ICO increased from 21,019 in 2017/18 to 41,661 in 2018/19
- Helping organisations, small or large, embed the GDPR and DPA 2018
- Preparation of statutory codes focusing on age appropriate design, data sharing, direct marketing, and data protection and journalism.
- Using new powers of inspection – issuing 11 assessment notices in conjunction with our investigations into data analytics for political purposes, political parties, data brokers, credit reference agencies and others
- 2018/19 was a record-breaking year of monetary penalties under the DPA 1998.